Wednesday, September 28, 2011

under our nose

       believe it or not dccc has an art gallery, usually people pass right by without noticing or don't pass by it at all. Of course I would know because this is my 9th month working there. The exhibit taking place at the moment is 215/610: a juried drawing exhibition of regional emerging artists. The opening reception was last Wednesday September 21, 2011 from 5-8 and it's on view until october 28th.
   There are 13 artists begging displayed and I'd have to say my favorite is by Mark Munson, raincloud, pen and ink/graphite. From a distance it looks interesting but you don't notice the true genius until you go up close and see all the tiny details the had to take months to complete. My second favorite would be Peter Alele,(2) untitled, graphite an paper. These 2 piece I find interesting to look at because their abstract and they make you think. I believe the 2 piece are actually 2 of many. (I wish I could have seen them all together) I could only image the kind of impact they would have. I bet they wouldn't look just like scribbles any more.
      Sebastien Ledercq, Imperial Rhodia-Brand graph pad, ink on card stock and pencil with staples. This piece is fascinating to me because it looks like an ordinary graph pad. What makes it so unique is that it was all created/constructed by hand. From the cover, the logo, to the binding, even all the blue lines on the paper were done by hand. Gaberiela Vainsencher, nothing matters (cat), ink and acrylic on paper, is another favorite of mine. The colors are so vibrant and it is the only piece with text. I find it humorous because there is a picture of a cat and the text reads: nothing matters  your fear doesn't matter   the furniture doesn't matter. There are more than just these 4 artists in the exhibit but I think it's best for me to leave it at this, because you should check it out.
              (I have no pictures because the actual pieces are in the school gallery and people should look at them in person...)

No comments:

Post a Comment